Let DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME serve as a reminder to do many of the tasks that might otherwise be forgotten. When you set your clock ahead on the evening of Saturday, March 7, here are some additional tasks you may want to tackle as well.
- Replace the batteries in your Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors. Try to do this twice-annually during time changes. You may also want to change your Thermostat batteries annually.
- Schedule a heating system inspection. Hire a professional to inspect and clean your heating system annually for best performance and safety.
- Replace the filter in your heater. Continue to change your filter as recommended. Standard 1” filters should be changed monthly and larger filters every 3-4 months.
- Inspect your chimney. Hire a professional to inspect your chimney, clean out obstructions and soot build up and ensure it is structurally sound.
- Flush your water heater every year to remove accumulated sediment in your water heater. Use vinegar with tankless models.
- Reverse ceiling fans. Reverse your fan motor. The blades should rotate counter-clockwise in the Spring for maximum comfort and energy savings.